Mr Robert Hicks
Consultant General & Vascular Surgeon
MBBS, MS, FRCS
Practices at: Three Shires Hospital
Nowadays, his work is shared between NHS commitments at Northampton General Hospital, where he is an Associate Medical Director, and his private practice at the BMI Three Shires Hospital. His clinical practice is divided between major vascular surgery and day case surgery. He has a keen interest in Day case, Laparoscopic and Local anaesthetic surgery and has been Trust Lead for Day surgery for several years.
The Vascular Surgery workload, includes open and endovascular aortic aneurysm surgery, carotid endarterectomy and peripheral bypass. He has a regular access list for renal patients requiring an arteriovenous fistula for dialysis and is part of the multidisciplinary team caring for the foot complications associated with diabetes. He has extensive experience in the management of venous conditions, including varicose veins and regularly performs a wide range of techniques including VNUS, Laser surgery, microsclerotherapy for thread vein and foam sclerotherapy.
The General Surgery workload is limited principally to all types of hernia surgery, including laparoscopic and open repair, in adults and children, under local or general anaesthetic. He is the founder of a Hernia charity called Hernia International Carpenter, with the aim of improving the health of a community in Northern Ghana, centered around the village of Carpenter.
General procedures including:
- Hernia surgery - laparoscopic and open repair. Local and General anaesthetic techniques
- Sportsman groin, Inguinal hernia, Femoral hernia, Spigelian hernia, Incisional hernia
- Removal of skin lesions/cysts under local anaesthetic
- Removal of benign skin lesions
Vascular procedures including:
- Varicose Veins and thread veins, VNUS, Laser (EVLT), open surgery, foam sclerotherapy and microsclerotherapy
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) both open procedure and endovascular repair, Carotid Endarterectomy for TIA and Stroke
- Early assessment and treatment of diabetic foot complication
- Vascular access surgery, long term lines for chemotherapy and arterio venous fistula for dialysis.
Mr Hicks's additional specialties:
- Sportsman's groin injury (Gilmore's groin)
- Renal access surgery for dailysis
- Diabetic surgery
- Aortic Aneurysm repair
- Royal College of Surgeons (England) (RCS)
- The Vascular Society (VSGBI)
- European society of Vascular Surgery
- European Hernia Society (ESVS)
- British Hernia society (BHS)
- British Association of Day Surgery (BADS)