Dr Mathis Heydtmann
Consultant Gastroenterologist & Hepatologist
MD, MRCP(UK), FRCPSG, PhD
Practices at: Ross Hall Hospital
After passing the German and US medical licensing exams he worked in Switzerland, Manchester and Birmingham and undertook a research attachment in Boston before coming to Glasgow. He obtained a MD in molecular genetics from Düsseldorf University and PhD in liver immunology from Birmingham University (Wellcome Trust Fellow) where he worked as a Clinical Lecturer in Gastroenterology.
Mathis specialises in the assessment and medical management of gastrointestinal problems, in particular liver disease. He feels that it is important to have sufficient time to listen to the patient's concerns and to make a correct diagnosis. Therefore new appointments with him are booked for 30 minutes (if you need more time please inform the booking staff). He has good links with other specialists who might need to be involved in patients care including Surgeons, Dieticians, Addiction Specialists and Paediatric Gastroenterologists.
Mathis Heydtmann is a JAG accredited endoscopist including colonoscopy and ERCP trainer and is an advanced appraiser for revalidation by the GMC.
Mathis maintains a keen interest in academic medicine by advancing medical knowledge in his field and teaching. Research work (with CSO grant support) includes epidemiology, health economics and treatment of chronic liver disease, in particular alcoholic liver disease.
- General Gastroenterology
- Investigation of constipation, diarrhoea and abdominal pain
- Advanced colonoscopy
- Polyp detection and removal for prevention of colon cancer
- Gastrointestinal investigation for iron deficiency anaemia
- All aspects of acute and chronic liver disease
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Viral liver disease
- Genetic liver disease
- Autoimmune liver disease
- Chronic liver failure including management of liver transplant patients
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- British Association of the Study of the Liver
- European Association of the Study of the Liver
- American Association of the Study of Liver Disease
- Scottish Society of Gastroenterology
- Scottish Society of Physicians
- British Medical Association
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Glasgow (membership examiner)