Mr Ali Noorani
Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon Upper Limb (Shoulder & Elbow)
MBBS BSc (Hons) MRCS FRCS (Trauma & Orth)
Practices at: The London Independent Hospital
Mr Noorani is on the education board of the European Society for Shoulder and Elbow Rehabilitation (EUSSER). He is the founding member of the Royal London Orthopaedic and Trauma Society and the Barts Orthopaedic Fund.
Mr Noorani strongly believes his primary role is to offer an accurate assessment and a precise diagnosis. Shoulder, elbow, hand and wrist symptoms are common and many patients and therapists often need reassurance and explanations for the problems they are experiencing. Mr Noorani believes strongly in a multidisciplinary approach to treatment of these problems. Patients need to know that they are seeing someone who they trust and who understands and specialises in their problem.
He has introduced several innovative pathways and clinics, and produced rehabilitation protocols, and patient information sheets for upper limb procedures to ensure patients receive timely and effective post-operative physiotherapy.
Mr Noorani looks after upper limb injuries for several London professional sports teams as the upper limb surgeon for the Elite Sports Concierge Service. He was also the UK Team doctor for the American National Basketball Association (NBA) and the orthopaedic doctor for American National Football League (NFL) and the Rugby World Cup 2015.
Medical & Surgical Training
Mr Noorani qualified from the Imperial College School of Medicine (London) in the year 2000. He completed his Orthopaedic and Trauma training on the prestigious Royal London Hospital rotation and has further specialised in Upper Limb Surgery including Trauma & Sports injuries. He became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS Trauma & Orth) in 2009.
Specialist Fellowship Training
He undertook further Specialist Fellowship training in Shoulder, Elbow and Upper Limb Surgery at the world-renowned Upper Limb fellowship programme at The Royal Liverpool Hospital - one of best in the country specialising in complex arthroscopic shoulder surgery and upper limb trauma surgery.
Mr Noorani was awarded the coveted Annual British Shoulder and Elbow Society Fellowship in 2010, and the equally impressive British Orthopaedic Association Fellowship in 2011. He used these fellowships to gain further valuable training in Upper Limb and Trauma Surgery in the US, at Harvard University, the Mayo Clinic, Columbia University, and the Rothman Institute. He was also awarded an AO trauma fellowship to Salzburg.
- Shoulder instability including traumatic, atraumatic and muscle patterning instability (multidirectional instability)
- Sports injuries with a special interest in treatment of the shoulder and elbow sports injuries
- Rotator cuff and frozen shoulder
- Arthroscopy of the shoulder, elbow and wrist
- Shoulder arthroplasty both primary and revision
- Elbow arthroplasty both primary and revision
- Hand & wrist surgery
- Trauma with a special interest in upper limb trauma including, clavicle/ACJ/scapula/proximal humerus, elbow, hand and wrist injuries
- Management of early onset arthritis
- Rehabilitation of the shoulder
- Shoulder & elbow instability
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) in shoulder arthroscopy (current RCT)
- Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMS)
- Trauma of the upper limb
- Reconstruction of shoulder and elbow
- Upper limb joint preservation surgery
- Innovation in healthcare
- Simulation for training
- Rehabilitation in shoulder
- RCS (Ed)
Why should you see leading neck and shoulder specialist Mr Ali Noorani?
Mr Ali Noorani, leading neck and shoulder specialist and consultant orthopaedic surgeon at BMI The London Independent, describes why patients should come to see him and what it is like working at BMI The London Independent Hospital.