The Shirley Oaks Hospital in Croydon, offers direct access to a range of general and specialised diagnostic imaging procedures. The imaging service is provided by a team of dedicated consultant radiologists and supported by HPC registered radiographers.
How to access our imaging services
A GP or consultant referral is essential, although we do accept self-referrals for mammograms provided the woman fulfils accepted criteria e.g. aged over 40.
Patients wishing to pay for themselves are most welcome. Insured patients are advised to contact their insurance company before arranging any investigation/treatment.
Our service covers most aspects of MRI including musculoskeletal, neurology, abdominal, pelvis, vascular, breast and diffusion imaging all delivered within a welcoming and friendly environment.
Our MRI unit includes a Siemens Espree 1.5 tesla, wide bore scanner. Unlike conventional scanners, the bore length is only 125cm, more similar in length to a CT scanner, while the bore is 70cm wide. The scanner incorporates the latest software Tim (Total Imaging Matrix) which helps to reduce examination times by up to 50%. Brain and cervical spine imaging can also be done without placing anything directly over the patient’s face or neck.
This will ensure an improved scanning experience for all patients and its benefits include:
- The ability to offer a full range of examinations and cater for very large patients scanning up to 250kg/550lbs
- More head, leg and elbow room means it is well tolerated by patients suffering claustrophobia or anxiety, pain and mobility issues, and respiratory problems
- Lightweight coils also improve comfort levels particularly for sick patients and those with special needs
- Advanced imaging technologies and capabilities means quality images can be produced in a short time, improving the level of service to both the patient and clinician
The service is available for insured and patients who wish to pay for themselves.
“I am extremely happy with the treatment I received. A big thank you to everyone who assisted me! It is greatly appreciated. Kind regards.”
“Amazing quality of care with polite, professional and extremely friendly staff. I cannot fault any of my customer journey.”
Comments were collected from patient feedback during March 2017.
Our Imaging and Radiology department includes a specialised Siemens Mammography machine. This model has a calming MoodLight LED panel, whose changing colours will help you relax during your mammogram.
We have received very positive feedback from patients who had a mammogram with this machine. Their overall impression is of a more comfortable and less stressful experience.
Having a mammogram at The Shirley Oaks Hospital, you will benefit from:
- Full Field Digital mammography images of exceptionally high quality
- Compassionate fully qualified mammographers who provide a discrete caring service
- Highly experienced Breast radiologist providing double read mammogram reports in the shortest possible time, which are faxed directly to the referring clinician
- Mammogram Images are available on request on CD for patient to have for their records
- Digital Steriotactic biopsies and guide wire localisations can be performed on the request of a Breast Consultant.
The CT scanner at The Shirley Oaks Hospital has a CT Scannerore diameter of 70cm, much larger than most scanners.
This allows our unit to:
- Accommodate bariatric patients scanning up to 227kg/500lbs for a variety of investigations
- Provide an environment particularly beneficial for patients who may be claustrophobic, anxious, in pain, with mobility issues or respiratory problems
- Perform CT Colonograms (Virtual Colonoscopy) and be able to analyse the images using special software. The images are reported on by specialist gastrointestinal consultant radiologists
- We are also able to perform a variety of Dental CT Scans with Multipannar reformats.