Wayne Halfpenny is a Consultant in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust (incorporating Barnet and Chase Farm Hospitals) and has over 20 years consultant experience in the specialty. Wayne is doubly qualified in both Medicine and Dentistry with degrees from Kings College London and Charing Cross Medical School. He underwent his higher surgical training at the prestigious Addenbrooke’s Hospital Cambridge and Guy’s Hospital London.
Wayne is a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons and member of the Association of Facial Plastic Surgeons, British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and the British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons. He is a core member of the Trust’s Multidisciplinary Team for Thyroid Cancer. Wayne's particular clinical interests are in facial reconstruction/plastic surgery, surgical dentistry, temporomandibular (jaw) joint disorders, facial pain, and Thyroid/Parathyroid surgery.
He has extensive experience in all aspects of facial surgery (including non-surgical treatment of the ageing face) and surgical dentistry (wisdom tooth removal, complex extractions, dental cysts and lesions of the mouth). He is also one of the few surgeons to have experience of minimally invasive salivary gland surgery using the latest techniques.
Both privately and in the NHS Wayne works jointly with pain management consultants to provide multidisciplinary care for those patients with complex facial pain problems.
Wayne has published many peer-reviewed papers covering all aspects of the specialty and presented widely both at local and international level. He is fully registered with both the General Medical and Dental Council. Wayne is fully accredited and recognised by all the major insurers. He is registered with the ICO and fully data compliant.
Wayne is married to Mo a local Orthodontist has 4 children and in his spare time is a keen kayaker.
Example of key surgical procedures performed:
- Wisdom tooth removal 300 cases
- Buried roots 75 cases
- Cyst of Jaw 40 cases
- Temporomandibular Joint Arthroscopy 40 cases
- Thyroidectomy 130 cases
- Parathyroidectomy 30 cases
- Outcome data:
- Altered sensation of lip/tongue (<0.1%)
- Dry socket (<1%)
- Recurrent laryngeal nerve injury (<0.5%)
- Return to theatre (<0.05%)
Summary of published papers:
-Hutchison IL, Ridout F, Cheung SMY, Shah N, Hardee P, Surwald C, Thiruchelvam J, Cheng L, Mellor TK, Brennan PA, Baldwin AJ, Shaw RJ, Halfpenny W, Danford M, Whitley S, Smith G, Bailey MW, Woodwards B, Patel M, McManners J, Chan CH, Burns A, Praveen P, Camilleri AC, Avery C, Putnam G, Jones K, Webster K, Smith WP, Edge C, McVicar I, Grew N, Hislop S, Kalavrezos N, Martin IC, Hackshaw A. Nationwide randomised trial evaluating elective neck dissection for early stage oral cancer (SEND study) with meta-analysis and concurrent real-world cohort. Br J Cancer. 2019 Nov;121(10):827-836. doi: 10.1038/s41416-019-0587-2. Epub 2019 Oct 15
- Zaman Mirza, Mustansir Alibhai, Janavikulam Thiruchelvam, Wayne Halfpenny, Wai-Lup Wong, Luke Sonoda, Curtis Offiar, Matthew Keenan, Leo Cheng, Nicholas Kalavrezos. A review of thyroid PET incidentalomas – a North/North-East London experience. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2013 Sep; Vol. 51, Issue 6, Page e110.
- Mustansir Alibhai, L. Gilbert, F. Abbas, W. Halfpenny. A local review of thyroid and parathyroid surgery. Br J Oral and Maxillofac Surg 2013 Sep; Vol. 51, Issue 6, Page e107.
- A. Ketabchi, S. Sah, N. Khan, W. Halfpenny, J. Thiruchelvam. Management of the neck in the occult primary: results of a national audit. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011 Jun; Vol. 49Supplement 1, Page S73.
- Halfpenny W, Prabhu K, Balaraman K, Thiruchelvam J, McGurk M. A Modified technique of radial forearm free flap anastomosis. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008 Jan; 46(1):68-9. Epub 2007 May 24.
- Lee KH, Halfpenny W, Thiruchelvam JK. Spinal cord compression in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007 Apr;103(4):e16-8. Epub 2007 Jan 31.
- Millwaters M, Khan N, Halfpenny W. Simultaneous lymphoma and squamous cell carcinoma presenting as a neck lump. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008 Mar;46(2):144-5. Epub 2007 Feb 23.
- Alagarswamy RK, Halfpenny W, Thiruchelvam JK, Mohamid W. Rare presentation of Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare infection. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007 Dec;45(8):670-2. Epub 2006 Nov 20.
- Goodger NM, Halfpenny W, Williams S. An unusual cause of oro-antral fistula. Dent Update. 2004 Jan-Feb;31(1):31-3.
- Halfpenny W, Hain SF, Biassoni L, Maisey M, Sherman J, McGurk M. PET SUV as a predictor for survival in patients with head and neck SCC. Br J Cancer 2002; 86: 512-516.