Mr Shay Nanthakumaran
Consultant Upper Gastrointestinal, Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon
MB ChB, MD, FRCS Ed
Practices at: Albyn Hospital
He studied Medicine at the University of Aberdeen and qualified in 2000. His surgical training was undertaken in Aberdeen and Glasgow.
He was awarded Doctor of Medicine (MD) at the University of Aberdeen in 2010 based on his research into the effect of nutrition on cancer cell behaviour
He was awarded an Ethicon National Advanced Laparoscopic Fellowship in Bariatric/Gastrointestinal surgery in Newcastle where he gained extensive experience in keyhole weight loss surgery in 2012.
He is a specialist in surgery for oesophageal and stomach cancer, bariatric/weight loss surgery (gastric bypass, gastric band, sleeve gastrectomy, intragastric balloon) and anti-reflux surgery. He also performs general surgical procedures such as abdominal wall hernia repairs and removal of the gallbladder.
He is actively involved with medical student teaching and is the Lead for the General Surgery Teaching at the University of Aberdeen.
- Upper GI surgery
- Weight loss surgery (gastric bypass, gastric band, sleeve gastrectomy, intragastric balloon)
- Anti-reflux surgery
- Gallbladder surgery
- Hernia Ssurgery
- Gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgical Society