Mr Nima Abbassi-Ghadi
Consultant General & Oesophago-Gastric Surgeon
BMBS, BMedSci, PhD, FRCS
Practices at: Mount Alvernia Hospital
Training and Appointment
He achieved his medical degree with honours at the University of Nottingham and concluded his specialist surgical training in London, where he developed extensive experience in advanced operating techniques, including minimal access surgery. On completion of his training, he was awarded the Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland travelling Scholarship to partake in a prestigious clinical fellowship at the National Cancer Centre in Seoul, Korea. He was also awarded the International Diseases of The Esophagus Travelling Scholarship for the most cited research paper in 2017.
In 2015, he was awarded a PhD from Imperial College London for his research into oesophageal cancer and has published in leading journals such as Cancer Research, Cancer Discovery, and Advanced Materials. His other research interests include the use of anti-reflux surgery in patient with chronic lung disease and cough. He has also published several book chapters on the topic of oesophageal/gastric cancer and oesophageal motility disorders.
Research and Teaching
Mr Abbassi-Ghadi is a Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Surrey and a co-supervisor of a PhD project funded by the Medical Research Council, Royal College of Surgeons, and the Mason Medical Research Foundation, investigating the treatment effects of oncolytic viruses and immunotherapy on oesophageal cancer. He is a keen educationalist and regularly teaches Advanced Trauma Life Support and gives invited lectures to surgical trainees in the South-East of England on specialist topics of oesophageal and gastric surgery. He is an expert academic reviewer for several surgical and oncology journals including the British Journal of Surgery, Diseases of the Esophagus, The Royal Society of Chemistry and Frontiers in Oncology.
Having grown up in Guildford, Mr Abbassi-Ghadi is proud to be offering his expertise back to the local community. His primary focuses are providing a personalised treatment that is holistic and supported by clinical evidence. As a patient you will be kept fully informed and looked after throughout your treatment pathway.
- Gallstone surgery
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy and on table cholangiography
- Laparoscopic bile duct exploration.
- Abdominal wall hernia repair
- Laparoscopic/open repair of inguinal, femoral, umbilical, incisional and other abdominal wall hernias
- Hernia repair under local anaesthesia.
- Removal of skin and subcutaneous lesion
- Dyspepsia (indigestion) - investigation, diagnosis and treatment.
- Anti-reflux surgery – laparoscopic fundoplication (Dor/Toupet/Nissen)
- Investigation, diagnosis and treatment.
- Hiatal hernia repair
- Laparoscopic - primary/recurrent/complex hiatal hernia repair.
- Upper gastro-intestinal endoscopy
- Therapeutic endoscopy – dilatation, stent placement, Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG), Naso-Jejunal (NJ) tube and Naso-Gastric (NG) tube placement
- Diagnostic endoscopy.
- Endoscopic (balloon dilatation)
- Laparoscopic Heller-Dor-Cardiomyotomy.
- Laparoscopic small bowel resection and appendicectomy
- Laparoscopic feeding jejunostomy
- Endoscopic/Laparoscopic placement of gastrostomy feeding tubes.
- European Association for Endoscopic Surgery (EAES)
- The Royal College of Surgeons
- The Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ALSGBI).