Dr Jonathan Dakin
Consultant Respiratory Physician
MD, FRCP, BSc Hons
Practices at: Mount Alvernia Hospital
Training and Appointment
He trained in Respiratory Medicine in London, gaining a research fellowship at the Royal Brompton Hospital where he completed an MD doctoral degree within the National Heart and Lung Institute of Imperial College.
Dr Dakin is also trained and experienced in Sleep Medicine and holds accreditation with the European Sleep Research Society as an expert Somnologist. Initially appointed to a consultant post at Queen Alexandra Hospital, he moved to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in 2015 to be nearer to home.
Dr Dakin has exceptionally wide experience within Respiratory Medicine, having managed various specialist clinics including pulmonary infection, fibrosis / interstitial lung disease, home ventilatory support and Sleep Medicine.
A large part of Dr Dakin’s current practice is dealing with persistent cough and shortness of breath, particularly asthma. He has co-authored a textbook investigation of breathlessness, “Making sense of Lung Function”.
- Sleep medicine including sleep apnoea
- Lung cancer including screening
- Interstitial lung disease / pulmonary fibrosis
Special clinical interests:
- Endobronchial ultrasound
- Investigation and treatment of chronic cough
- Investigation and treatment of shortness of breath
- Sleep study
- British Thoracic Society
- American Thoracic Society
- European Respiratory Society
- British Sleep Society
- European Sleep Research Society
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Current NHS and /or University Posts
Royal Surrey County Hospital