Dr Graham Baker
MBChB, MRCP (London), PGCert MedEd, SCE Gastroenterology, CCT Gastroenterology & General Medicine
Practices at: The Droitwich Spa Hospital
Dr Baker specialises in the diagnosis and management of the full spectrum of gastrointestinal and liver disease. He has full Joint Advisory Group (JAG) accreditation for both upper and lower GI diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, and consistently maintains excellent key performance for these procedures. He has additional interests in both advanced endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and Hepatology (liver medicine), offering a non-invasive transient elastography (FibroScan®) measurement as part of an assessment into overall liver heath.
He works as a full-time NHS consultant for Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust.
Dr Baker provides an expert opinion for patients presenting with any GI or liver complaint and is acutely aware of the impact that these conditions can have on an individuals quality of life. He strives for a holistic and individualised approach in an effort to optimise the care he provides focusing on each of his patient's specific needs.
He completed his undergraduate medical training at the University of Birmingham Medical School in 2009, consistently performing in the higher quartiles compared with his peers. He has obtained full membership of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP) and the Speciality Certificate Examination (SCE) in Gastroenterology.
The breadth of experience gained from exposure to multiple different institutions during his career has been invaluable. A full year included working alongside world-leading liver transplant clinicians at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, one of the largest liver transplant units in Europe. This provided him with a strong foundation of knowledge and confidence to manage liver transplant recipients and highlighted the benefits of high quality, internationally leading research and how this can transform day-to-day patient care. He continues to offer this specialist input by maintaining strong personal and professional links through collaborative working with clinicians at this tertiary centre.
Throughout his undergraduate and postgraduate medical career Dr Baker has taken every opportunity to immerse himself in audit, quality improvement and collaborative research. His work has been published in peer-reviewed journals and presented orally, and in poster format, at a range of regional, national and international conferences. He continues his enthusiasm to stay abreast of the latest clinical advances in his field through regular engagement with the academic literature and regular speciality conference attendance. This enables him to offer all of his patients the latest evidence-based care.
Obtainment of a post-graduate qualification in medical education (PGCert MedEd) is a demonstration of his commitment to teaching and sharing his medical knowledge and experience with others. He regularly enjoys contributing to and delivering both undergraduate and post-graduate teaching sessions and considers this an essential component to his clinical practice and continued professional development.
Outside of his work he takes every opportunity to keep active and spend quality time with his family and friends.
"Following 9 months of problems without any proper diagnosis, I was so glad to consult Dr Baker, who discussed the matter with clarity and in a relaxed manner, giving time to explain, for which I was most grateful. After tests, a full diagnosis was made, together with medication to address the problem, which it did. It was such a relief, and so pleasant to be treated like an intelligent person. Dr Baker is an exceptional and user-friendly expert whom I have no hesitation in recommending." - J Jones, June 2021
"Dr Baker immediately put me at ease at my 1st consultation and gave me time to explain my symptoms and ask questions. He thoroughly explained what would be involved during the procedure and provided clear feedback on the follow up telephone call. I appreciated his professional but personal manner and would not hesitate to recommend him." - G Lynas, May 2021
Current NHS and /or University Posts
Worcestershire Royal Hospital
- Hepatology (liver medicine) including transient elastography measurement (FibroScan®)
- Bowel conditions; including inflammatory bowel disease (Ulcerative colitis/Crohn’s disease), colorectal (bowel) cancer, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Coeliac disease
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) and related upper GI conditions
- Diagnostic & therapeutic upper (OGD) and lower GI endoscopy (Colonoscopy)
- Advanced endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)
- Diagnostic Gastroscopy (OGD)
- Gastroscopy + oesophageal stricture dilatation
- Gastroscopy + banding of oesophageal varices
- Gastroscopy + PEG insertion/removal + feeding tube placement
- Therapeutic Gastroscopy for bleeding lesion inc. ulcer, varices, GAVE
- Diagnostic colonoscopy
- Diagnostic flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Therapeutic colonoscopy + flexible sigmoidoscopy with removal of polyps (polypectomy) inc. EMR (Endoscopic Mucosal Resection)
- Diagnostic & therapeutic abdominal paracentesis for ascites
- Transient elastography (FibroScan) for the non-invasive assessment of liver fibrosis
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- Royal College of Physicians (RCP)
- British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG)
- British Association for the Study of the Liver (BASL)
- Midland Gastroenterological Society (MGS)
- Medical Defence Union (MDU)
- Hospital Consultants and Specialists Association (HCSA)