Mr Elias Francis-Khoury is a consultant ENT surgeon, based in Bournemouth and Poole, with a leading regional practice founded on world class training who practices general otolaryngology, with a special interest and International Fellowship level training in Ear, Nose and Children’s ENT problems.
The conditions he commonly treats are:
- Ear Disease (infections, hearing loss, tinnitus and their causes including perforations, surfer’s ear, otosclerosis),
- Nasal blockage (Septoplasty/ Turbinoplasty),
- Sinusitis (Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, including balloon sinuplasty),
- Ear deformity (Pinnaplasty, including incisionless),
- Nasal Appearance (Rhinoplasty),
- Tonsillitis, Snoring and sleep apnoea.
Wherever possible he uses his extensive minimal and microsurgery experience to make the appropriate surgical treatment safer, with shorter recovery and often without the need for a general anaesthesia.
Mr Francis-Khoury studied at King’s College, University of London and Caius College, University of Cambridge, undertook his basic surgical training on the Oxford rotation and completed his ENT specialist training in London’s best known hospitals (including Great Ormond Street, Royal National ENT Hospital, St Mary’s, Charing Cross, St Bartholomew’s, UCLH and Royal Free) and then a further two years of fellowship (advanced optional training in a leading international centre) in Toulouse University Hospital and Guy’s and St Thomas’ /Evelina Children’s Hospital.
Mr Francis-Khoury was awarded the fellowship of European Board of Otolaryngology – head and neck surgery, with the distinction of having set a record for highest examination grade in the written part (having also been awarded the year’s highest written grade of the British equivalent, the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons).
He has worked with the NHS for over twenty years and currently practices at the University Hospitals Dorset where he has held the head of department role. He is the co-author of surgical textbook chapters on rhinoplasty, nasal sinuses, and ear infections. His research into his areas of practice, as well as on voice and head and neck cancer has been published in numerous peer reviewed articles. His professional affiliations have included the European Society of Paediatric Otorhinolaryngology, European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery, the European Rhinological Society, and British counterparts.
Outside of his regular practice, Mr Francis-Khoury has been a volunteer surgeon in warzones with the International Medical Corps, a university lecturer and whenever the evidence is supportive will favour dietary, exercise and mindful interventions for the treatment of many conditions in his area of expertise.
Please note that The Harbour Hospital does not offer paediatric services, and therefore appointments for those under 18 years of age will not be accepted. Thank you for your understanding.
- Otology & Hearing Implant Fellow (Paediatrics and Adult) (Guys & St Thomas' Hospitals, London 1yr)
- Otology, Paediatric ENT & Skull base surgery (University Hospitals of Toulouse, 1yr)
- Facial Plastics and Sinus Surgery (Imperial College Hospitals, London, 6 months- registrar upgrade)
Higher surgical training
- London rotation: Inc Imperial College, University College, Barts & the London & Great Ormond Street Hospital
Basic Surgical Training
- Oxford rotation