If your foot or ankle is affected by injury or disease, it can make walking and standing painful and more tiring. For more significant damage, you may struggle to safely weight-bear, only able to move about with great difficulty or by using a walking aid like crutches.
Both your feet together contain one quarter of the bones in your entire body, along with numerous ligaments, muscles and nerves. Given how often the feet and ankles are used, it’s not surprising that problems can occur quite easily.
Foot and ankle problems are often categorized depending on the area of the foot they occur in - toe, forefoot, midfoot, hindfoot or ankle. Common problems our Consultants are asked to treat include:
Common toe & forefoot problems:
- Toe deformities,
- Big toe pain
- Forefoot pain,
- Bunions – bony lumps on the side of the feet,
- Bursitis – inflammation of a bursa, a fluid-filled sac that helps to cushion a joint,
- Morton’s Neuroma – results from irritation or damage to a nerve in your foot.
Common midfoot & hindfoot problems:
- Midfoot pain,
- Plantar fasciitis - characterized by pain in your heel or the bottom of your foot,
- Heel pain,
- Achilles tendonitis – overuse of the Achilles tendon, leading to pain along the back of the leg near the heel,
- Flat feet (also referred to as “fallen arches”).
Common ankle problems:
- Ankle sprains,
- Ankle pain,
- Increasing stiffness in the ankle.
In addition, arthritis can develop in the foot or ankle. The most common type of arthritis in the UK is osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis causes smooth joint surfaces to wear down, creating friction as bone surfaces move over one another. This causes pain and stiffness in the joint which often gets worse as the arthritis develops. Given the number of bones contained in the foot, osteoarthritis has the potential to cause significant problems with function and mobility.
Whether you’ve suffered a recent sports injury to your ankle or you’ve had pain in your foot for a longer period of time, it may be wise to seek medical assessment and advice. Our Foot and Ankle Consultants are experts in managing and treating all foot and ankle disorders and would be delighted to help get you back to better health once more.