Mr Sudipto Bhatta offers a streamlined and personalised care for patients with eye conditions in general and specialises in cataract surgery and comprehensive glaucoma care in Aberdeen and the adjoining Aberdeenshire. He has joined the ophthalmology team in the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, NHS Grampian as a Consultant Ophthalmologist in 2017. Before moving to Scotland, he had worked as a Consultant in the Hull and East Yorkshire Eye Hospitals, NHS England from 2013 to 2017.
Mr Bhatta has more than 18 years of experience in ophthalmology and has successfully upheld his practising privileges as a Consultant in the private sector in parallel alongside his NHS commitments since 2013, previously in Spire Hull and East Yorkshire, England and more recently, through Albyn Hospital since he has moved up to Aberdeen in 2017.
Following the completion of his ophthalmology training in the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, Mr Bhatta completed one year of an advanced subspecialty training fellowship in glaucoma in the St James’s University Hospital, Leeds. He also completed a previous Master’s degree in Ophthalmology with an Order of Merit from the University of Calcutta, India.
Mr Bhatta regularly delivers talks in regional and national meetings, as well as having had publications in various scientific journals. During his tenure in Hull, the department has been the recipient of the International Glaucoma Association award in 2016 for the best glaucoma unit voted by UK patients.
Mr Bhatta takes a very keen interest in education and training of postgraduate doctors and undergraduate students and has held office in the following posts:
- 2021 – successfully appointed as the ophthalmology Training Programme Director for Scotland Deanery (North).
- Since 2017 – Honorary Senior Lecturer in the Aberdeen University for undergraduate medical students and delivers regular lectures to Foundation Year junior doctors.
- Since 2017 – Trainer, North East Scotland ‘Teach and Treat’ programme for teaching community opticians in NHS clinics.
- 2017 to 2021 – Clinical governance lead in Ophthalmology, NHS Grampian and clinical governance adviser to the local community optician’s Eye Health Network (EHN).
- 2016 to 2017 – nominated Royal College Tutor, Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.
- 2013 to 2017 – Clinical governance lead in ophthalmology, Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Since 2013 – named Royal College clinical and educational supervisor for post-graduate trainees.