Mr Shyam Kumar
Consultant Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgeon
FRCS (Trauma & Ortho), FEBOT (Fellowship of the European Board of Orthopaedics & Trauma), FRCS, M.S (Ortho), DNB (Ortho)
Practices at: The Lancaster Hospital
After training at the Mersey Deanery and the Welsh Orthopaedic training scheme, Mr Kumar became a Trauma & Orthopaedic fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons. He also gained a post CCT fellowship in shoulder and elbow surgery at the prestigious Shoulder and Elbow Unit at Northern General Hospital in Sheffield. This post proved to be an educational experience and gave him wide exposure to a variety of shoulder and elbow conditions. He has also worked at the upper limb unit at Wrightington Hospital during the final year of his training. His term as a research fellow in hip fractures at the University of Leicester has given him the experience to analyse research summaries and arrive at meaningful conclusions.
Over the years, Mr Kumar has published many peer-reviewed journals on topics related to Trauma and Orthopaedics. He also teaches trainee doctors and has been involved in extensive research within his field. As a Hon. Lecturer at Lancaster University, he is involved the teaching of medical students. He also serves as an examiner for the Membership exam of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh where he is also a member of the Faculty of Surgical training. Mr Kumar is a member of the AAC (Appointments Advisory committee) of the Royal College of Surgeons of England involved in the recruitment of consultants in various NHS Trusts in England and Wales.
Mr Kumar’s other roles include performance assessment of doctors as a clinical assessor for Practitioner Performance Advice (PPA- formerly known as NCAS). He was selected to be a member of the Medicolegal committee of the British Orthopaedic Association. Having completed an LLM in Medical Law and Ethics, he undertakes instructions from defendant and claimant solicitors for clinical negligence work.
Mr Kumar lives with his wife and two children. He enjoys tennis, golf and cooking. He also has an interest in old Morris cars.
- Impingement syndrome
- Frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis)
- Shoulder instability
- Rotator cuff tears
- SLAP tears
- Cuff tear arthropathy
- Calcific tendinitis
- Long head of biceps rupture
- Biceps tendonitis
- AC joint dislocation
- Distal biceps rupture
- Shoulder arthritis
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- Tennis elbow
- Golfer’s elbow
- Elbow arthritis
- Olecranon bursitis
- Triceps rupture
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Trigger finger
- Dupuytren’s disease
- 1st CMCJ arthritis
- DIP Joint arthritis
- Extensor tendon rupture of the thumb
Surgical services offered
- Shoulder arthroscopy, arthroscopic decompression, arthroscopic ACJ excision, arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, and sports injuries to the upper limb.
- Arthroscopic Bankart’s repair for instability, arthroscopic capsular release for frozen shoulder.
- Shoulder arthroplasties: total shoulder replacement, shoulder resurfacing.
- Latarjet procedure for open repair of shoulder instability and failed Bankart’s. Proximal biceps tenodesis for ruptured long head of biceps, distal biceps repair, repair of pectoralis major rupture.
- OK procedure for elbow arthritis, Tennis and Golfer’s elbow release, endoscopic olecranon bursa excision, cubital tunnel release, repair of distal biceps rupture.
- Carpal tunnel decompression, trapeziectomy, Dupuytren’s fasciectomy, Trigger finger release, Tendon transfer for thumb extensor rupture (EIP to EPL transfer, DIP joint fusion.
- Medicolegal work- clinical negligence and personal injury instructions
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Member of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers, RCS Edinburgh
- British Medical Association