Dr Hazem Youssef
MB ChB, MSc, MD, FRCP (Edin)
Practices at: Albyn Hospital
His Masters (MSc) degree in rheumatology on rheumatoid arthritis was obtained in 1995. He completed his higher training for MD degree in rheumatology at the University of Edinburgh and trained at the Western General Hospital and Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. His research project for the MD degree was in the field of lupus (systemic lupus) and the degree was granted in 2003. He has various publications on lupus and other rheumatic conditions. Dr Youssef is also one of the editors of the World Journal of Rheumatology.
His main subspecialty interest is systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and auto-immune connective tissue diseases. Dr Youssef runs the specialised Lupus and Connective Tissue Diseases Clinic in Grampian. His other interests include Paediatric and Adolescent Rheumatology and he is the lead clinician in the Rheumatology Transition Service which aims to transfer the care of children with arthritis approaching teenage from Paediatrics to the Adult Rheumatology Service.
Dr Youssef is experienced in the use of musculoskeletal ultrasound for early diagnosis and management of inflammatory joint diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and other medical disorders of the joints. He is a European certified rheumatology sonographer and certified trainer of musculoskeletal ultrasound in Scotland. Dr Youssef is a member and cofounder of the Scottish Rheumatology Ultrasound Group (SRUG).
He is regularly involved in undergraduate and postgraduate education and is the Training Programme Director for Rheumatology in the North of Scotland Deanery.
- Joint diseases (arthritis) e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, reactive arthritis, polymyalgia and osteoarthritis
- Connective tissue diseases e.g. lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus or SLE), Sjogren's syndrome and scleroderma
- Bone diseases e.g. osteoporosis
- Muscle diseases e.g. polymyositis and dermatomyositis
- Rheumatic diseases in adolescents (adolescent rheumatology)
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound (diagnosis of difficult cases of arthritis by ultrasound)
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- British Medical Associations (BMA)
- British Society for Rheumatology (BSR)
- Scottish Society for Rheumatology (SSR)
- Scottish Lupus Exchange Group (SLEx)
- Scottish Rheumatology Ultrasound Group (SRUG)
- Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland (MDDUS)