Mr Gabriele Galata' is a Consultant in Endocrine and General Surgery, Acute Emergency Surgery and Trauma in the NHS at King’s College Hospital and at the cancer centre for Head and Neck diseases, Guy’s Hospital. He also sees patients privately at The Cavell Hospital, Kings Oak Hospital, London Bridge Hospital, andKing’s Private Hospital.
Mr Galata’ was trained and educated in Italy and then underwent further specialist surgical training in London. In addition to general and laparoscopic surgery, he has specialist interests in thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal surgeries and complex and genetic endocrine diseases.
Over the past 20 years, since commencing his career in General Surgery, he has gained extensive and broad experience in all aspects of the speciality. He worked in a major trauma centre in Rome (Policlinico Tor Vergata) where he developed his basic and advanced general surgical skills with particular attention to the emergency and trauma settings. He also participated in the elective and on call activities of HPB and Transplant surgery at St. Eugenio Hospital in Rome. He followed the surgical activities of the Endocrine Surgical Department at the Catholic Univeristy of the Sacred Hearth of Rome (Complesso Integrato Columbus) to achieve endocrine surgical experience in the treatment of thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal pathologies with particular attention at the retroperitoneal approach to the adrenal glands.
In 2009 He moved to UK in order to familiarize with the NHS system and to improve his practical experience in general surgery and develop a specialist interest in Endocrine Surgery.
He has updated his personal practices and knowledge by reflective practice and self-directed learning, as well as attending internal and external seminars, courses and meetings, and gaining formal accreditation in endoscopic/video-assisted, minimally invasive and laparoscopic surgery, endocrine surgery and emergency/trauma surgery.
He holds the current active positions:
1) Honorary Senior Lecturer at King’s College London University.
2) GMC associate for PLAB 2 examiner.
3) Medico-legal expert at “The Medico-Legal Expert Practice” (TMLEP).
4) ATLS Provider.
5) ATLS Instructor.
6) Educational and Clinical Supervisor for undergraduate
medical students and surgical trainees.
7) Appraiser for the GMC revalidation process.
He holds numerous professional memberships including being a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS) and Membership of the British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons (BAETS) in addition to the Italian Society of Surgeons.
Mr Galata has for many years led King’s College Hospital General Surgery audit network and has senior understanding of risk and governance processes.
He has been the lead for:
1) Morbidity and Mortality audit meeting
2) Governance for General Surgery
3) Care Group Patient safety
4) NICE Guidelines
5) Care Group Patient outcome
6) Audit lead for General Surgery
Mr Galata’ speaks fluently English and Italian. Mr Galata’ is actively involved in research and has published more than 80 articles in scientific journals and has written few chapters of book. Mr Galata’ received numerous awards at National and International levels for his research, teaching and clinical excellence demonstrated during his surgical career.
Mr Galata is a well-rounded general surgeon with expertise in endocrine surgery and emergency general surgery.
In endocrine surgery, he expertly performs the full repertoire with excellent outcomes including:
- Initial and redo thyroidectomy for goitre
- Inflammation and cancer
- Parathyroidectomy for primary, secondary, malignant and recurrent hyperparathyroidism
- Neck dissection for metastatic endocrine cancer
- Open and laparoscopic adrenalectomy for benign and malignant disease of any size and functionality
- Removal of paragangliomas from ectopic locations including chest and retroperitoneum.
Mr Galata has for over a decade been a highly valuable member of regional cancer multidisciplinary team MDTs for endocrine neck disease and adrenal disease. He commands deep understanding and a functional reference network to complement any diagnostic and non-surgical care needs for endocrine conditions.
In general surgery, he safely undertakes the full repertoire of abdominal surgical interventions including:
- Laparoscopic and open cholecystectomy
- Small bowel resection
- Peritonitis surgery
- De- and refunctioning
- Repair of any initial or recurrent hernia
- Vascular repair as required (but not on an elective basis)
- Surgical conservative treatment of any abdominal condition and the related perioperative care.
- Mr Galata is a competent major trauma surgeon.
- British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgery
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgery
- British General Medical Council
- Italian General Medical Council
- Italian Polyspecialistic Society of Young Surgeons
- Italian College of Surgeons
- Italian Society of Surgeons
- Italian Society of Universitarian Surgeons