Mr David Ratliff
MB ChB, MRCP, MD, FRCP, FRCS (Eng & Ed)
Practices at: Three Shires Hospital
During his career David has led the progressive development and delivery of the general, endocrine and vascular surgical services in Northampton as high quality services with very good outcomes and a national reputation for clinical excellence.
He has extensive experience in managing all general surgical conditions including hernias, gallbladder disease, anorectal problems including haemorrhoids and anal fissure, abdominal pain, pilonidal sinus and removal of lumps and bumps. He is an expert in laparoscopic cholecystectomy, laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair and hernia repairs of all types.
David is a high volume endocrine surgeon, carrying out thyroid and parathyroid surgery with excellent results and an activity in the top 10-15% procedures nationally. He is a leading specialist in the management of thyroid cancer.
He has extensive experience in the diagnosis and management of all vascular problems including circulatory and venous conditions. He is an expert in the treatment of varicose veins by keyhole surgery and injection sclerotherapy, and also of spider and thread veins. He has wide experience in vascular access and the insertion of portacaths and central lines for chemotherapy.
He led the vascular service at NGH for over 20 years, introducing a wide range of new procedures and the latest technology and techniques. This resulted in major improvements and the formation of the Northamptonshire Vascular Service in 2012 with Northampton as the vascular centre.
David has maintained a strong commitment to high professional standards and continuing professional development with up-to-date specialist knowledge throughout his career. He was an Examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons and Intercollegiate Specialty Board in General Surgery for 16 years and Clinical Director of the Department of Surgery at NGH from 2001-2005. He has also maintained an active interest in clinical research and has been the author of over 35 publications.
He was awarded a National Silver Award for Clinical Excellence in 2008 and before that a National Bronze Award for Clinical Excellence in 2004.
David’s approach is very professional and patient-focused. He communicates well and keeps you fully informed and involved in decision making at every stage. He concentrates his considerable knowledge and experience to offer you his opinion and expert treatment, based on your needs and requirements. His primary objective is to provide his patients with the best possible outcomes for their problems.
- Laparoscopic inguinal hernia and sports hernia repair
- Hernia repairs of all types, including inguinal, femoral, epigastric and umbilical hernia repair under GA and LA
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder surgery)
- Thyroid nodule
- Thyroid surgery
- Parathyroid surgery
- Varicose vein treatments of all types, especially the Venefit procedure (key-hole surgery) and injection sclerotherapy
- Microsclerotherapy (cosmetic injection treatment) of spider and thread veins
- Vascular access including Portacath and Groshong line insertion
- Excision of lumps and bumps
- Injection for axillary hyperhidrosis (excess sweating)
- Endocrine surgery
- General surgery
- Vascular surgery
- General surgery
- Endocrine (thyroid and parathyoid) surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Vascular surgery
- Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS)
- Royal College of Physicians (RCP)
- British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons (BAETS)
- Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland (VSGBI)
- Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust